Saturday, September 22, 2012

Movie Stubs Everywhere! a.k.a. I Did A Project Off Pinterest!

I love going to movies! I mean who doesn't? There is nothing like getting a group of people together to go to the theater buy some popcorn and sit in front of a large screen in the dark to see the latest blockbuster. I'm a huge fan of midnight premiers. Being among the first people to see a movie is so fun. I'm one of those people who keeps all the stubs from movies, sports events, concerts, and so on, but this ends up with stubs everywhere. Some on my desk, others in my scrapbook box, and still more on my memo board. I first thought I could put them in my scrapbooks but then I had the issue of which one to put them in. Do I put them all in my general album or split them and put the ones from school in my college album and the rest in the general?

So one day I was perusing Pinterest (if you don't know what this is you should. It's an amazing website where people can share anything basically by pinning it. Many people share craft ideas which I love), and I found the cleverest and neatest idea for saving ticket stubs. Someone had posted an idea using a shadow box as a drop box for tickets. They decorated the background to their liking and somehow had a slit in the top to drop tickets in almost like a piggy bank.

I had no idea how they got a hole in the top and I wanted it to look good but I decided to tackle that when I got there. So one time I went to Hobby Lobby I searched through the shadow boxes and found one that wasn't too big and was only about $20 plus they were on sale. After thinking about it I decided that instead of trying to put a hole in the top I would cut down the back so I could slide stubs in the back. That was another factor in picking a frame. I wanted one that didn't have any vital parts in the top inch and a half of the back (such as the pieces that hold the back on.) The one I picked was perfect.







...and with tickets.
The finished product without tickets...




My box had a burlap covered foam padding in it so I pulled that off since I knew I wouldn't need it. To cut the back down I scored where I wanted to cut and ran a box cutter over it continuously until it came off. It was much simpler than I thought it would be. I decorated the background using black and red scrapbook paper to create a stage setting. I put the black down first and freehand cut the red to look like curtains. I found theater themed scrapbook stickers on sale at Walmart and used those to add details to my shadow box background. I put the back on the shadow box and filled it with my stubs and viola! It now sits on my movie shelf and looks great

No comments:

Post a Comment