Saturday, November 3, 2012

Spirit Tutus

Cassi and I at the Sam Houston vs Baylor game.
So it's been awhile since I've been on here. I wanted to share one of my most recent and fun to make craft projects.

In September my alma mater, Sam Houston State University, played my "little brother" Derek's current school, Baylor University, in Waco and we made sure to get tickets so I could cheer on my school and see Derek perform at the game. I was looking for a unique way to show my school spirit but I was also torn between who to cheer for (the school that got all my money or the school I have grown up sort of supporting). It seems like everywhere you look girls are wearing tutus. (I absolutely adore Sophia Grace and Rosie on the Ellen show and they always wear a different tutu each time they are on the show).

I decided I was going to tie-dye green and orange shirts and wear tutus. Originally I was going to sew tulle on the bottom of the shirts in layers of orange and green but that just became too much work (and I've never really sewn before). I found this awesome post on pinterest for no-sew tutus (link is at the bottom). After looking at the details it seemed simple enough. Let me tell you it was much easier than it looks and turned out so much better than my idea would have been. I made myself and my BFF Cassi orange and green tutus so we would represent both teams.

The split decision tutu as I'll call it.

My Copperas Cove themed tutu. I used glittery white tulle as a nice accent and filler. 



















Seeing as I waited until the last minute I had to rush to Hobby Lobby for the rolls of tulle used on the blog and was therefore left with a problem when they did not have orange tulle on the roll. I decided to use a wide non-wired mesh ribbon which ended up working great. The only problem in using ribbon is the ends need to be sealed or else the ribbon will fray (as anyone who has ever worked with ribbon will know) especially the mesh ribbon. I sealed mine by burning the edges. I had to run the lighter back and forth a couple times to completely seal it but make sure not to linger too long on one place or it will catch fire and you have the pinch it out quickly. Each tutu only took me about an hour and a half to make. Cassi loved it and I loved it, so much so that I made myself another to wear for my local high school football games (and to band competitions). I call them my spirit tutus.
The first time I wore it was to support the Pride of Cove Band at their first contest.

Treasures for Tots

No comments:

Post a Comment