Friday, November 16, 2012

Closer Than We Think

At this moment I'm sitting here in my little small town of Copperas Cove, Texas watching a live broadcast of Children in Need on the BBC in England on my computer. The main reason I am watching this is because of One Direction performing but I can't help but realize the amazing reaches of technology.

I mean honestly 10 years ago we would never have imagined we could stream live TV from halfway around the world and we would have to settle with hoping that someone would put the clips of our favorite celebs performing overseas on YouTube or something so you could see them. Everyday the world gets a little smaller. We have access to news and media outlets across the globe and we don't have to wait days to find out about events happening in other countries.

Social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter increased our access to individual people around the world. Now we can find and talk with people who share our interests without having to be geographically close. I follow people from as far away as Australia on my Twitter and friends who have spent the last year or so living in Greece. It's amazing how we can stay connected when we are so vastly apart.

We don't realize how huge of an accomplishment some of the everyday things in our lives are. This generation is the most widely connected generation in history and I am just amazed at the amount of influence and outreach we are capable of. I think sometimes we don't realized just how influential an individual can be just because of the technology of our world. It's crazy and kind blows my mind that if I so choose I can have a conversation with someone on the other side of the world. The responsibility of our generation is to use the technology at our disposal to make the world a better place and not waste the opportunity to be a positive influence on our world.

No comments:

Post a Comment