Tuesday, July 31, 2012

All That Glitters

Since the London Olympics began Friday, I have completely immersed myself in everything Olympics. I have watched every minute of coverage on NBC I could. starting tomorrow evening I will be limited on the amount I get to watch since I'll be leaving to go to College Station and stay with Lacey and will be staying in Huntsville after that in preparation for Shannon's wedding.

The "Fab Five" with their shiny new gold medals!
The good news is I have pretty much seen everything I wanted to see or was really looking forward to seeing. I always enjoy gymnastics and that is the sport I always want to watch during the Olympics. The only event I may really miss is the individual competition. My heart just broke for Jordyn Wieber when Aly Raisman beat her out for the second spot for the individual finals. That is such an unfair rule that only two gymnasts from each country can go to the individual finals instead of the top 24 overall, but that's not my job. Congrats to Aly and teammate Gabby Douglas for making the individual final! After that heartbreak it was good to see Jordyn smile confidently after finishing her vault at the team finals tonight. They all performed absolutely perfectly. Yes there were a few bobbles here and there but it was beautiful. The excitement when they over took Russia to become Olympic gold medalists was amazing. The whole area was cheering and I started tearing up for them. They represented the USA beautifully. Way to go girls! Jordyn, you got your gold.

Missy Franklin with her well earned gold medal.
I also have really been into swimming this year. First I have to say Missy Franklin did an amazing job and I love that she is dedicating all of her swims to Aurora, Colorado (She goes to school there). She won her first individual gold last night and broke the world record. Her parents reactions were wonderful.

Michael Phelps and his relay teammates who helped him earn that 19th Olympic medal.
Also in swimming I have to say I have been rooting for Michael Phelps and his goal to beat the all-time record for medals. After his disappointing 4th place finish in his first race everyone was doubting him but I had faith that he could pull it back. After getting a silver in both the relay on Saturday night and the 200 butterfly today, his medal count was 18, tying the record. The record was passed with a bang though when Team USA earned gold in the 4x200meter. No one else ever had a chance. The USA took off and never looked back. Truly amazing! What a spectacular accomplishment. I guess coming back one more time was definitely worth it. Way to go Michael!



Team USA earned a lot of new hardware today. Hopefully there are more to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment