Saturday, July 28, 2012

Let The Games Begin!!


It's that time again! Last night was the Olympic opening ceremony of the London 2012 Olympic Games. I must say it was spectacular. I always love the opening and closing ceremonies. It's always so spectacular. I'm a huge Olympics fan so every 2 years (Winter Olympics) I get super excited. I am undoubtedly a fan of Great Britain and many of my favorite things come from there. Now several people complained that the ceremony was too centered around Britain but isn't that what it's supposed to be. It is that country's chance to show the world what is important to them about their country. Some people can't just enjoy the show and move on.

J.K. Rowling reading from Peter Pan.
But anyways, one of my absolute favorite parts was the celebration of British literature especially because the author of my absolutely favorite book series, Harry Potter's J.K. Rowling, was a part of it. I also found the 20ft tall inflatable Voldemort both completely terrifying and spectacular. It was great to see two things I enjoy so dearly put together- the Olympics and Harry Potter. I honestly thought Conan was joking when he said last week there was going to be a Voldemort vs. Mary Poppins fight. Lesson learned-trust Conan. I also enjoyed the musical journey through the 60s-current. Some of the music I didn't realize was the product of Great Britain. I must say though, it was great to see her majesty the Queen with James Bond. What a great sport she is.
Voldemort vs. Mary Poppins
Team Netherlands
Team Norway
The Parade of Nations is always enjoyable although with the number of nations it is extremely long. Last night though was one of the quickest I've seen and, as the commentators said, it's probably because they were playing very upbeat music. There are always certain countries I enjoy like Ireland and the Netherlands. Team Netherlands ladies were dressed in blue dresses with a trench coat in their signature orange and I must say they looked awesome. I also like to cheer for Norway since I am Norwegian. Of course though my #1 team is Team USA! It's so exciting to sit and wait for your country to come out then cheer for them when they finally do. I'm hoping they do good. I'm looking forward to Gymnastics and Swimming. I really hope Michael Phelps can pull of 3 more medals to become the most decorated Olympian in history. Bring it home to the good old USA.
Team USA!

And with that I'll say Let The Games Begin!...And may the odds be ever in your favor! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment