Monday, May 7, 2012

Moving!

For the past week and a half or so I have been in super mover mode. I have been packing almost nonstop and I'm starting to get sick of it. It's interesting how you never realize how much stuff you really have until you have to pack it all up and move it. My brother once told me not to collect too much stuff because you will regret it when you have to move. I've never really had to move in my life except in and out of dorms and apartments while here at school. This is the first year I have lived in an unfurnished apartment and, as much as I love being able to pick my own furniture, it sucks when it comes down to moving it. I also don't have a car so it's even more complicated than just packing and moving stuff. Thankfully I have a wonderful friend from my hometown, with a truck, who is willing to help. He goes to Texas A&M which is only an hour away from me but he has to drive the hour to Huntsville then turn around and drive back that same hour plus the two more to get from College Station to home. He is such a great friend, which is why he is my best friend and pretty much a brother. His only condition to helping was that it had to be after finals, which I can definitely understand. I mean it was only last semester I was worried about the same thing, granted his degree is much more complicated than mine were. So this Thursday we are loading up his truck and moving as much as possible. I'm excited to be moving back home for many reasons but I'm also wondering how I'm going to fit all this stuff in my room where I already have a bunch of stuff. I guess I'll figure it out when I get there.

Things I've Learned While Moving:
1. The more stuff you have the longer it takes.
2. Not having a car really complicates the whole process.
3. Packing over a month before moving can be counter productive, especially with clothes, toiletries, kitchen stuff, and movies. You always seem to want to watch that one movie that's at the bottom of the box.
4. If you can pack stuff over a month before moving (depending on the situation) you should probably assess how much you actually need that item and is it something you can give away.
5. There are somethings that are just too light to go in the back of a truck and have to be accounted for when packing.
6. Not knowing the weather in advance can be annoying. (Do I need to buy a tarp or not. Can the counter top appliances be put in the back of the truck or do they need to be in the cab.) In Texas this is always a factor. Just because it was sunny and clear when you woke up does not mean it will be that way at noon.
7. I have too many pictures!!
8. And clothes!!!
9. Oh and shoes!!!!
10. It's hard to say goodbye to a place you have considered home for the past 5 years.
11. Keep the boxes. They may take up space, but they really are helpful when moving things like toasters and blenders and fragile valuables.

I know there are probably many more things I've learned but these are just the most notable.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah well done very nice tips a head thanks for posting this sort of information, I really enjoyed your this blog and I'll surely keeps these points in my mind at the time of moving !
    movers in Hamilton

    ReplyDelete