Thursday, May 31, 2012

Musical Memories

Last night was the annual spring concert at my high school. Since I graduated in 2007, I have been to at least the spring concert every year. I always enjoy getting to hear the bands play and seeing everyone I haven't seen in awhile. It also ends up being a very emotional night because it is the night all the graduating seniors are recognized and the outgoing drum majors hand over their whistles to the new drum majors and conduct the band one last time. My senior year was important because I was graduating and for the three years after that I knew most of the seniors because I was in band with them. In 2009 Tim was graduating so that was an important year also. This year Tim's younger brother Derek is graduating. Their family is pretty much my extended family so of course I could not miss this year.
Copperas Cove High School Wind Ensemble. Derek is directly to the right of the director on clarinet.
I remember last year being so anxious during the whole concert leading up to the announcing of the new drum majors. It was so nerve wrecking. I also remember how excited I was when his name was announced. What a year it has been! I am so proud of my little "brother" and everything he has done. I can't believe he is graduating in two days! Of course I will be there to support him and whether he hears me or not I will be cheering as loud as I can. 

Derek during senior recognition.

Well last night they recognized the seniors and of course we cheered for Derek, then we sang the alma mater like every year. Then it was time to recognize the drum majors and I got just as anxious as I had the year before. They each got a cool little plaque from Mr. Kelley and then conducted the band through "Old Scottish Melody" like they do every year. The new drum majors were announced and the whistles were handed over. I only know one of the drum majors and only because he is friends with Derek, but the reactions are the best part because you really see how much it means to them. 


Passing the whistles.
I'm so proud of Derek and this past year and all the things he has accomplished and I can't wait to see what he does at Baylor! I've been working on his graduation gift and I would put a picture up so far to show how awesome it looks but he might see this so I don't want to give it away (I'll post on Saturday with all the graduation updates!) I wish the new drum majors all the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment